[sane-devel] Which HP-AIO Devices are supported by SANE

Simon Matter simon.matter at invoca.ch
Fri Feb 6 14:40:00 UTC 2009

> On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 9:08 AM, m. allan noah <kitno455 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> There are three ways to do this:
>>
>> 1. Run the configure command as I gave it to you, but without the
>> quotes, continue with make, make install.
>>
>> 2. Simon's approach, just use the rpms. Download the rpm you want to
>> install and try it. when it complains about a missing dependency,
>> download that too, and try to install both of the them with one
>> command. Continue this process until it installs, by which time you
>> will be running Fedora 9 :)
>>
>> 3. The distro's approach, just reinstall the entire OS with something
>> that contains the packages you want. Fedora 8 is pretty old at this
>> point, and Fedora 10 is pretty good, and contains sane 1.0.19, and the
>> hpaio drivers already installed.
>>
>> At this point, after watching you struggle for days to cut and paste
>> the most basic commands into a terminal correctly, I would STRONGLY
>> suggest #3.
>>

> But, if you continue with #2, here is a warning- rpm generally does
> not overwrite config files. So, it will leave you with the old config

Well, rpm does things depending on the config and noreplace flags in the
package. If the file is marked as config and noreplace, the new config
file is installed as xxx.rpmnew, otherwise (which is almost never the
case) the new config is installed and the old one preserved as
xxx.rpmsave.

> files in /etc/sane.d, which means that the new backend will not get
> loaded, even if it is installed properly. So, you might want to remove
> the /etc/sane.d directory before you try to upgrade those packages
> with rpm. I dont know what effect this might have on hpaio, another
> reason to just install a new distro.

The package libsane-hpaio simply adds the line hpaio to
/etc/sane.d/dll.conf if it's not already there.

Simon