[sane-devel] FreeBSD SANE epkowa Epson Perfection 4490 get_identity_information: failed

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Mon Feb 9 23:31:43 UTC 2009

"Jonathan D. Garner" <jon at amgraf.com> writes:

> Anybody know how to get a Epson (0x04b8) Perfection 4490 Photo (0x0119)
> to work with the sane backend epkowa on FreeBSD i386 6.4-RELEASE.

Nice to know people do want to use (bits of) Image Scan! for Linux on
non-Linux systems!

> [snip]
>
> I downloaded the port sane-epkowa.tar.gz and the source file
> iscan_2.11.0-1.tar.gz and did a make and install.

Curious as to where this sane-epkowa.tar.gz came from ...

> When I run 'scanimage -L' I get this:
>
> [epkowa] epkowa.c:7780:get_identity_information: failed: require ('A' == buf[0])
>
> FreeBSD i386 6.4-RELEASE
> sane-backends-1.0.19_1

You are aware of the fact that the Perfection 4490 requires DFSG
non-free iscan-plugin-gt-x750, right?

If (and only if) you have that plugin installed, I'd be interested in
a debug log.

  SANE_DEBUG_EPKOWA=127 scanimage -L

or

  SANE_DEBUG_EPKOWA=HEX scanimage -L

depending on the version of the epkowa backend you're using.

Hope this helps,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen, LPIC-2           FLOSS Engineer -- AVASYS Corporation
                 http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=1962