[sane-devel] Fujitsu S510 vs. S510M?

Martin Rehn martinrehn at inbox.com
Fri Feb 13 22:23:42 UTC 2009

Hello,

Fujitsu sells the "ScanSnap S510" for Windows and the "ScanSnap S510M" for
Mac. Are those actually the same scanner, with just a difference in bundled
software, or what is the difference?

The backend database (CVS) says the following:
ScanSnap S510  USB  0x04c5/0x1155  complete    small, current, no TWAIN driver
ScanSnap S510M  USB     complete    small, current, no TWAIN driver, Mac only

http://www.sane-project.org/cgi-bin/driver.pl?manu=&model=s510&bus=any&v=&p=

What does "Mac only" mean in that comment? Would that version only work with
SANE running on a Mac, not under Linux? (Also: Is the USD id the same?)

I am using Linux, but other people may want to use the scanner with actual
Macs. Otherwise I could just buy the S510 version, and wouldn't have to ask.

Thanks,
/ Martin