[sane-devel] Fujitsu S510 vs. S510M?

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 14 00:03:05 UTC 2009

On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 5:23 PM, Martin Rehn <martinrehn at inbox.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Fujitsu sells the "ScanSnap S510" for Windows and the "ScanSnap S510M" for
> Mac. Are those actually the same scanner, with just a difference in bundled
> software, or what is the difference?
>
> The backend database (CVS) says the following:
> ScanSnap S510  USB  0x04c5/0x1155  complete    small, current, no TWAIN driver
> ScanSnap S510M  USB     complete    small, current, no TWAIN driver, Mac only
>
> http://www.sane-project.org/cgi-bin/driver.pl?manu=&model=s510&bus=any&v=&p=
>
> What does "Mac only" mean in that comment? Would that version only work with
> SANE running on a Mac, not under Linux? (Also: Is the USD id the same?)
>
> I am using Linux, but other people may want to use the scanner with actual
> Macs. Otherwise I could just buy the S510 version, and wouldn't have to ask.

I got confirmation from a user that it works, but he never gave me the
usb product id. I think that (and the bundled software/color of the
plastic shell. Both units should work the same with sane. In fact, you
can install sane on your macs, and then it does not matter which one
you buy. You might even look around for a more expensive refurb :)

allan