[sane-devel] EPSON Perfection v200: First version able to scan something

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 13:01:04 UTC 2009

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 6:28 AM, Stefan Wimmer <swimmer at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> * Ivan Boldyrev <lispnik at gmail.com> [2009-02-12 15:44] :
>>  I have written some Python code for testing reverse-engineered protocol. I
>>  don't particulary like Python, but it has libusb bindings.
>>
>> [...]
>>
>>  I still cannot handle some packet that is different on each scan (scanning
>>  parameters -- window, dpi etc -- are always same!). When I use its content
>>  from previous scans, scanner simply hangs up.
>>
>>  You may get sources from Mercurial repo (sorry, no git):
>>  hg clone http://ivan.ivanych.net/hg/epawa-py
>>
>>  I don't like name epawa, may be, epv200 would be better, but I hope it
>>  will be more generic some day.
>>
>>  I keep working.
>
> Why do you want to reinvent the wheel if there exists already a working
> driver?
>
>   http://www.avasys.jp/english/linux_e/dl_scan.html
>
> Greetz
> Stefan ;-)

Three reasons-

1. If you are not using 32 or 64 bit linux, it is difficult or
impossible use the epkowa plugins.
2. If epkowa stops supporting your device on at a later date you
cannot recompile it yourself.
3. Some people will not use such software on their otherwise free
Linux system as a matter of principle.

allan