[sane-devel] EPSON Perfection v200: First version able to scan something

Ivan Boldyrev lispnik at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 13:06:51 UTC 2009

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 5:28 PM, Stefan Wimmer <swimmer at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> * Ivan Boldyrev <lispnik at gmail.com> [2009-02-12 15:44] :
> Why do you want to reinvent the wheel if there exists already a working
> driver?
>
>   http://www.avasys.jp/english/linux_e/dl_scan.html

I'm glad you asked!

I don't know if "a working driver" (I haven't tried it yet) would be
released 3 days ago if I hadn't started reverse-engineering the
scanner protocol.  Most probably it is just a coincidence that Olaf
announced it in next message after my message (that you replied to),
but don't believe anyone.

The great plus of open-source driver is its portability.  As I don't
need to protect my driver against disassembling, it can be simple and
portable.  Porting of open-source driver would require less time than
4 years (if we count from first request on AVASYS forum) and even less
than 2 month (if we count from December announce in this list).  I
don't care were if the reason of delay were marketing, politics or
technical difficulties.  Open source driver would be free from all
three.

Of course, the main drawback of open source driver is that it has to
be written yet.

Anyway, I'm cross with AVASYS and EPSON.  I needed this driver two
months ago, not 3 days ago.

--
Ivan Boldyrev