[sane-devel] epkowa for 64-bit machines

Ivan Boldyrev lispnik at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 18:46:12 UTC 2009

On 10485 day of my life Lars Ljung wrote:
> But I'm not sure if I'm trying to reinvent the wheel here. What is
> exactly the relationship between the epkowa backend and libesint32? I
> have looked at the epkowa source code but I don't fully understand how
> it works. I suppose libesint32 loads the firmware, but I can do that
> myself. What else is it good for?

epkowa backend sends generic commands (of EPSON SCSI scanners?) to
libesintNN (where NN depends on scanner).  libesintNN translates these
commands to command set of your scanner (or "interprets" these
commands).

> What is the best approach to get this scanner to work on 64-bit
> machines? Implement the interpreter API? Write a completely new
> driver?

I'm writing a driver for my EPSON Perf. v200.  Perhaps, my experimental
sources will help you (they are in Python, for rapid prototyping), but I
don't know if our scanners have something similar except E-word in their
names.

http://ivan.ivanych.net/hg/epawa-py/

I have some notes here: http://ivan.ivanych.net/blog/
Also you may read my posts in this list (Jan-Feb 2009).

Implementing interpreter is not really easier than a full driver.  So
why depend on epkowa backend?

--
Ivan Boldyrev