[sane-devel] HP officejet: access scanner over the network, mini how-to

Simon Matter simon.matter at invoca.ch
Fri Feb 27 08:04:55 UTC 2009

> Hello List,
>
> A month or so ago I initiated a discussion here about accessing my
> networked HP OfficeJet Pro L7500. I could print but not scan. Now I have
> managed to do the scanning just fine, I'm posting this here hoping that
> other people can take advantage of it. It is kind of like a mini how-to
> for this kind of printer/scanner all-in-ones.
>
> The network: a server (Debian Lenny), two workstations (Mandriva Linux
> 2009), and the printer, all connected to the same subnet
> (192.168.2.0/255.255.255.0).
>
> As mentioned here before, when setting up the printer in CUPS should
> allow sane to also find it. This is true, if the printer is set up as
> follows:
> - go to the CUPS server's admin page ( https://localhost:631/admin ) and
> click "add printer", and enter the name and so.
> - Device: select "HP Printer (HPLIP)" (of course you must have the hplip
> package installed)
> - Device URI: hp:/net/Officejet_Pro_L7500?ip=192.168.2.9 (do not use ipp
> or socket or so: the printing will work fine that way, but scanning not!
> This is where it went wrong for me.), replacing the name and IP address
> for your printer.
>
> That way sane will be able to find your scanner directly on the server
> where CUPS is installed:
> $ scanimage -L
> device `hpaio:/net/Officejet_Pro_L7500?ip=192.168.2.9' is a
> Hewlett-Packard Officejet_Pro_L7500 all-in-one
>
> Then if saned is installed properly, you should also be able to find the
> scanner automatically on the work stations. My Mandriva 2009
> workstations give this result:
> $ scanimage -L
> device `net:192.168.2.1:hpaio:/net/Officejet_Pro_L7500?ip=192.168.2.9'
> is a Hewlett-Packard Officejet_Pro_L7500 all-in-one
>
> And finally if you are using xsane, you can approach the scanner
> directly using this command line option (you must have libsane-hpaio
> installed on the workstation for this to work):
> xsane hpaio:/net/Officejet_Pro_L7500?ip=192.168.2.9
>

> I really hope this is useful, thanks for all on this list for the
> pointers given in the discussion. This has been quite helpful getting it
> all to work, and then finding the final solution.

Hi Wouter

Thanks for the nice summary. I think that's all documented somewhere on
the HPLIP website but it's not obvious where one has to look for the
information.
I also found it tricky to understand how all the HPLIP stuff is glued
together and how it work in detail. For example I wanted to get rid of the
IP address because why in the world do I see an IP address when I have
proper DNS in place? Well, it took me quite some time to find out how it
all works and why it works that way.

Regards,
Simon