[sane-devel] Unsupported device: Canon MF4018

Nicolas Martin nicolas.martin at freesurf.fr
Sat Feb 28 14:19:44 UTC 2009

Normally, you can install Sane in the /usr/local, as long as lib
directories are correctly set in /etc/ld.so.conf and
in /etc/ld.so.conf.d/*

In this case, uninstalling first the Sane package coming with your Linux
distribution in /usr/lib is important, as ldconfig checks first /usr/lib
to look for libraries. Otherwise, you can also compile Sane CVS with the
--prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc configure options, so that libs and
binaries will go in /usr/lib and /usr/bin, not messing up with 2 Sane
installations.

Also, to run scanimage in /usr/local/bin from anywhere, did you check
your $PATH variable, to contain /usr/local/bin ?

Nicolas