[sane-devel] patch for sane-desc.c / support for descfiles / modifications

Julien BLACHE jb at jblache.org
Mon Jan 12 19:27:28 UTC 2009

Dieter Jurzitza <dieter.jurzitza at t-online.de> wrote:

Hi,

> first of all: many thanks that you took the burden and scan my output and take
> the time. I value that very much. Good that you'll check it in as I really do
> not need write access here, I just didn't want sit on anyones back!

You're welcome!

> 1.) attached please find a patch, a nice soul provided the information for the
> HP DeskJet 5p, so I adapted the patch regarding this scanner (we've got 4 in
> total now, wow :-) )

Eh, great :)

> 2.) why did you remove the
> #ifndef DEVMODE
> #define DEVMODE "0664"
> #endif /* DEVMODE */
>
> entries? Now I get warnings about redefinitions, so what is bad about that? I
> prefer warnings-free code (though I do not produce too much of it, you
> know ...) Just for me and my understanding.

Guarding the defines will just hide bugs if that name is used for
something else by one of the headers included. Given that it's a
compile-time "setting", anyone who needs to override that will have to
modify something anyway, so why not modify sane-desc.c directly.

BTW, it seems the code doesn't handle/care for SCSI devices that are
not declared as "processor", can you confirm? As we're only aiming to
list such devices at the moment, it's fine, but better document that
if I read it well :)

JB.

--
Julien BLACHE                                   <http://www.jblache.org>