[sane-devel] patch for sane-desc.c / support for descfiles / modifications

Dieter Jurzitza dieter.jurzitza at t-online.de
Mon Jan 12 20:00:52 UTC 2009

Hi Julien,
> Guarding the defines will just hide bugs if that name is used for
> something else by one of the headers included. Given that it's a
ok. Can live with that. It still works if you forcibly overrun, so people can
decide how to proceed here.

The missing support for scsi-scanners generically promoting themselves
as "scanners" is intentional. _THIS_ one should really go into the
hal-package, it shouldn't settle within sane because - well, if you know it
is a scanner, it's a scanner and hal ought to know what to do about it. No
job for sane here.

In contrast, players that hide their devices behind strange
names "processor" - this could be a dryer, a washing machine as well, isn't
it - are not known per se to hal. And I do not think it is a good idea to
have each and every distribution reinvent the wheel to create some script
magic to create the hal-database as is created right now.

So, here we go. I did a little more fine-tuning with regard to the printout of
the hal-entries and will end up with a patch based on today's dayly snapshot
when I'll be done.

Take care

Dieter

                                \

if you really want to see the pictures above - use some font
with constant spacing like courier! :-)

*****