[sane-devel] patch for sane-desc.c / new version

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Tue Jan 13 00:16:32 UTC 2009

Dieter Jurzitza <dieter.jurzitza at t-online.de> writes:

> Hi Olaf,
> dear listmembers,
> what regards your suggestion with the syntax: fine with me. So to say (for my
> 6300C)
>
> vendorID=HP
> productID=C7670A
>
> so we wouldn't have even one new name but would have a different meaning
> between SCSI and USB devices.
>
> so, maybe even drop the ":scsi" identifier but write that behind
> the :interface specification?
>
> :interface "SCSI" "HP" "C7670A" "processor"

That might be a bit problematic as the :interface keyword seems to
take an implicit list of interfaces.  From doc/descriptions.txt

  `:interface' defines how the device is connected to the
  computer. Its string argument can be one or more of "SCSI", "USB",
  "Parport", "Serial port", "IEEE-1394", "JetDirect", "Ethernet", or
  "Proprietary".

At least the epson.desc, epson2.desc and epkowa.desc have entries with
multiple interfaces defined.  Something like

  :interface "SCSI USB"

> We'd have no different entry in this case - but what I do not know if there is
> anything around depending on the fact that there is nothing behind the
> string "SCSI".
>
> Your suggestion would be: 1 new keyword ":scsi" and write
>
> :scsi "HP" "C7670A" "processor"

Correct.

> if I caught up with you. That'll be fine. Even more: it should be simple to
> use the very same scan mechanism as is used for USB devices, the only
> exchange is ":usbid" vs. ":scsi" in the search. I'm going to look into that.
>
> Take care

Hope this helps,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen, LPIC-2           FLOSS Engineer -- AVASYS Corporation
                 http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=1962