[sane-devel] Questions and suggestions

Julien BLACHE jb at jblache.org
Fri Jan 23 11:16:10 UTC 2009

"Mattias Kregert" <mattias at kregert.se> wrote:

Hi,

> Ok, but this delay only happen when i use saned. A "scanadf" directly on the
> scanner host scans without any pauses, which is why i guessed that it was
> caused by saned/net. You mention "backtracking", but the scanner is not

Then the network isn't fast enough (could be a latency issue,
too). Remember we're sending raw, uncompressed RGB data over the wire.

(there are so many things that could be added to the network protocol,
like compression...)

> pulling the paper back or anything, it just scans and fully ejects a page

Backtracking is scanner-dependent and happens only when pausing in the
middle of a page scan, not between pages.

> and then sits there doing nothing for about 0.35 sec. Then next page, pause
> 0.35s, next page, pause...

Delays between pages can be explained by the additional latency added
by saned, regardless of how fast the network is. There's quite a bit
of code involved on both sides to encode/decode the API calls.

I did not understand your problem as being pauses *between* pages in
your first mail :)

JB.

--
Julien BLACHE                                   <http://www.jblache.org>