[sane-devel] build sane-backends on Mac OS X -- 10.5.*

Chris Bagwell chris at cnpbagwell.com
Mon Jan 26 04:12:58 UTC 2009

dio.rahman at gmail.com wrote:
> And then I go to the make phase.
>
> gave me following error message
>
> configure.in:136: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_DEFINE
>       If this token and others are legitimate, please use m4_pattern_allow.
>       See the Autoconf documentation.
> make: *** [configure] Error 1

I can confirm that a fresh CVS checkout will not compile on Mac OSX.

This is automake and timestamp issues raising its ugly head that was
discussed somewhat on mailing list a few days back.  I checked some
files in out-of-order 4 days ago I guess and this is causing Makefile.in
to want to rebuild files.

Normally, thats not the end of the world but configure.in has some
issues on Mac OSX it looks like right now.  Something about the
pkg-config macros are dying.

I'll look into both above issues more in the near future but for an
immediate work around, I was able to get a compile started from a fresh
CVS checkout by doing this.  I manually copied the lines below from
another computer so I may have a typo in a filename or two.

cd sane-backend
touch acinclude.m4 aclocal.m4 m4/libtool.m4 m4/byteorder.m4 m4/stdint.m4
configure Makefile.am Makefile.in
./configure
make

This compiled successfully.