[sane-devel] Problem with HP ScanJet 4p and SCSI

David Brant brantosaurus at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 6 17:14:48 UTC 2009

Hello Dieter

I have heard of undev rules to somehow alter things at boot, so it
begins to make some sense to me!

My understanding of the user account situation is as follows:

I have enabled all user priveliges for me, username 'david', which
included administering the system (perhaps initially set for first
user). There are 3 other users, but without administrative rights. Only
david is has the password for sudo type operations. This is how i like
it to be.

Interestingly, i am not specifically associated with any group as such,
and neither are the other users. There is a facility to specifically
associate users with groups, which includes 'root, users, saned,
admin, ...'.

I simply created the accounts, and as far as i understand it we are all
just unique names at the moment. Maybe this is not the ideal way things
should be set up? I could assign myself and the other users to
particular groups, if needs be.

If possible i would like the scanner to be available to all users
(including me!)

The info on the undev is:

david at david-desktop:~$ ls -l /etc/udev/rules.d
total 12
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  459 2009-05-28 21:51 70-persistent-cd.rules
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  392 2009-05-28 20:19 70-persistent-net.rules
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1398 2009-04-09 01:19 README
david at david-desktop:~$

Please let me know if you need anything else

Kind regards

Dave