[sane-devel] [sane-commit] [SCM] SANE backends - scanner drivers branch, master, updated. gitconversion-79-gebb9883

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Tue Jun 16 23:48:22 UTC 2009

"Alessandro Zummo" <a.zummo at towertech.it> writes:

> The following commit has been merged in the master branch:
> commit 45fef7b0433979665a9b345061e3db09f3e92805
> Author: Alessandro Zummo <a.zummo at towertech.it>
> Date:   Tue Jun 16 00:38:24 2009 +0200
>
>     epson2: removed i18n from backend options
>
>     Internationalized backend options lead to incompatible shell
>     scripts, so they've been removed. A trailing dot has been removed
>     from some descriptions and a few includes moved around.

Now these option values(!) are no longer marked for translation in any
way whatsoever.  They will not end up in any *.pot file and nobody will
see that they should be translated.  Whether an application decides to
translate them before display is up to the translation.

GUI frontends will normally want to display things like Binary, Gray,
Color, Simplex, Duplex in the user's prefered language.  When there are
no translations to begin with, that's utterly impossible.

Command-line invocations should be consistent and to that end scanimage
and friends should output the _untranslated_ option values when --help
is requested.  As a courtesy to the user, they _could_ also output a
mapping of the untranslated values to translated ones.  That way, your
British English users can know that they should use 'Color' instead of
Colour ;-)

Any frontend should pass the untranslated option values to the backend.

AFAIU, sane-backends uses SANE_I18N to mark strings for translation for
the gettext toolchain.  The default #define is in saneopts.h and reads

  #ifndef SANE_I18N
  #define SANE_I18N(text) text
  #endif

meaning that none of the strings in your backend are translated at run
time.  That is, unless you decided to #define it to something else.

Hope this helps,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen, LPIC-2           FLOSS Engineer -- AVASYS Corporation
                 http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=1962