[sane-devel] API addition request

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 13:58:03 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jun 20, 2009 at 9:49 AM, Alessandro Zummo <azummo-lists at towertech.it
> wrote:

> On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 09:38:24 -0400
> "m. allan noah" <kitno455 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > We could do that, but then any front-end that uses sane would have to
> check
> > the backend version number and the params version number. I would be more
> > inclined to convert 'last_frame' to 'flags', then you can probably get by
> > without changing existing backends (other than a word substitution).
>
>  If we have decided to break for sane 2, it might be worthwhile
>  to do that in such a way to avoid troubles in the future.

but this does not avoid troubles, it just pushes them out to the front-end
developer, forcing him to have multiple branches in his code to deal with
all the variations. I would much prefer to have the major number of the
backend be a contract with the front-end author. If that means we have to
leave some unmaintained backends behind, so be it.

allan