[sane-devel] access right on multifunction devices

Giuseppe Sacco giuseppe at eppesuigoccas.homedns.org
Mon Mar 23 07:36:58 UTC 2009

Hi all,
I am using sane on hp multifunction device, i.e., HP Photosmart C4180
All-In-One. I currently use this device for printing, while I am
starting using it for scanning. Every time I plug its cable, udev load
the driver and set authorisations for device /dev/bus/usb/$HUB/$DEVICE.
Those auths are such that root may do anything, the "lp" group may read
and write, others might read.

I cannot access the device via sane, since I am not a member of lp. My
Debian box include a group called "scanner" and udev assign this group
to /dev/bus/usb/$HUB/$DEVICE for my other scanners (EPSON and Fujitsu).

I would like to know how other people solve this problem. Are you using
ACLs? May you setup ACLs directly from udev? Do you create a different
group, like lpsane, and add all users of "lp" and "sane" to this group?

Thanks,
Giuseppe