[sane-devel] SANE_CAP_ALWAYS_SETTABLE removed in 1.0.20

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Fri May 8 20:49:28 UTC 2009

On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 4:41 PM, Jeffrey Ratcliffe
<jeffrey.ratcliffe at gmail.com> wrote:
> I wrote the Perl bindings for Sane based on 1.0.19, on the basis that
> until the API changed, they would build properly, even if new symbols
> weren't supported until I added the support.
>
> However, on a rebuild of sid, which has 1.0.20, libsane-perl FTBFS, as
> SANE_CAP_ALWAYS_SETTABLE has been removed
> (http://git.debian.org/?p=sane/sane-backends.git;a=commit;h=e91fea4ac1ced39c911db91489c7069784bea037)
>
> So -
>
> a. doesn't removing SANE_CAP_ALWAYS_SETTABLE change the API?
> b. are there any backends in 1.0.19 that use SANE_CAP_ALWAYS_SETTABLE?

Unless I am mistaken, SANE_CAP_ALWAYS_SETTABLE is not in the
documented API, however, it was in sane.h. Three 1.0.19 backends did
set the flag v4l, qcam, and the test backend. The first two set it
globally on all options, making it of somewhat limited informational
value. The last included it as an option, IIRC.

Probably I should have engaged in more discussion prior to removal,
but it's a little late now :(

allan