[sane-devel] Epson PX700W/Artisan 700 network scanning

Alesh Slovak alesh.slovak at avasys.jp
Wed May 27 23:43:21 UTC 2009

Hi,

I am a developer on iscan.

> I installed iscan 2.19.2-1 (it's the one which is supposed to have the
> udev error fixed) from the avasys website but not only does it not
> support network scanning, but also when the printer is connected locally
> via USB it gives me the "Could not send command to scanner" error.

Unfortunately, as you can see, iscan does not support scanning via the
network interface for your model. However, it should be working for
local scans via USB. If possible, could you capture a log and send it to me?

To grab a log, just start iscan from the command line with the scanner
plugged in via USB as follows:
SANE_DEBUG_EPKOWA=hex iscan &> iscan.log

Also, can you send me a copy of the following file:
/usr/share/hal/fdi/preprobe/20thirdparty/20-iscan.fdi

Please send these files offlist, they are rather large.

> So, as I already had the epkowa driver installed, I tried Xsane. When it
> started and detected the scanner, not over USB, but over the network (as
> Artisan:ip.ad.dr.ess), my jaw promptly dropped to the floor. Of course,
> it doesn't work.
iscan limits itself to the epkowa backend, but Xsane was probably using
the epson2 backend, which supports the necessary network protocol, but
it seems like it doesn't have support for your particular model. Maybe
Alessandro (epson2 backend developer) can help you here.

Take care,
Alesh