[sane-devel] Epson PX700W/Artisan 700 network scanning

Chris Bagwell chris at cnpbagwell.com
Thu May 28 01:18:55 UTC 2009

On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 6:43 PM, Alesh Slovak <alesh.slovak at avasys.jp>wrote:

> Also, can you send me a copy of the following file:
> /usr/share/hal/fdi/preprobe/20thirdparty/20-iscan.fdi
>
> Please send these files offlist, they are rather large.
>
>  So, as I already had the epkowa driver installed, I tried Xsane. When it
>> started and detected the scanner, not over USB, but over the network (as
>> Artisan:ip.ad.dr.ess), my jaw promptly dropped to the floor. Of course,
>> it doesn't work.
>>
> iscan limits itself to the epkowa backend, but Xsane was probably using the
> epson2 backend, which supports the necessary network protocol, but it seems
> like it doesn't have support for your particular model. Maybe Alessandro
> (epson2 backend developer) can help you here.

Yep, thats most likely what happened.  The epson2 backend can detect Artisan
700 and 800's over the network just fine.  There are some issues that cause
it to lock printer up and require power cycle; based on resolution selected
or preview selected.  I had some better luck with epson2 driver on the 800
before some changes were made in 1.0.20 but I think I heard 700 works good
with the changes.

Its still on by TODO list to debug further because it seems some very minor
tweaking will be needed to get it working.  Hopefully, Alessandro can help
you further.

Since its works so well on the network, I've often switched to windows
laptop or just using the front panel for scanning.  But would like to get it
working eventually.

Chris