[sane-devel] As instructed by /etc/udev/rules.d/libsane.rules

Julien BLACHE jb at jblache.org
Tue Nov 17 17:46:37 UTC 2009

"m. allan noah" <kitno455 at gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

> question- If the distro is already producing a modified version of our
> tool to turn .desc files into whatever format is required, can we not
> install that tool as part of sane? And, can we not modify it such that
> it can take arguments to find the .desc file? Then, a new .desc file
> could be dropped in /tmp, and the program could ingest that file and
> output a proper rule?

Sure, we can do that. sane-desc has never been installed as part of a
SANE installation before because it wasn't used for anything critical
for the end-user.

It is obvious that this situation has changed a lot since we started
making use of it to generate all the hotplug stuff.

However, when it comes to udev rules, care must be taken with the LABELs
inside the rules file. The LABELs must not be repeated from one file to
another; failing that, chaos will ensue. (that may make a machine
unbootable until all duplicate LABELs are removed ... been there, done
that, got to keep both pieces)

JB.

--
Julien BLACHE                                   <http://www.jblache.org>