[sane-devel] As instructed by /etc/udev/rules.d/libsane.rules

Alesh Slovak alesh.slovak at avasys.jp
Thu Nov 19 00:06:50 UTC 2009

Johannes Meixner wrote:
> On Nov 18 09:20 Alesh Slovak wrote (shortened):
>> But like I said, I really don't care who is the cause
>> of this problem, I just want to see if we can fix it somehow.
>
> If you don't care who is the cause of this problem,
> you cannot fix the problem and actually your proposal
> does not fix the problem but is just one more layer
> how to work around the broken design of udev and HAL.
What I meant was, I am not looking to blame anyone for the problem. You seemed
to think I was blaming distros, when I was just trying to describe the situation
third party SANE backend maintainers are in. The conclusion in this thread was
that we should be "doing the right thing", and I pointed out that we can't do
that without some help.

I know that my proposal does not fix the root problem. From my understanding
though, what I propose is not another layer. Distros already ship udev rules,
and have to generate those somehow. I am just asking distros if they could make
that "somehow" available to others to reuse so that we can generate rules
compatible with our users' systems.

> Again:
> It does not matter how udev rules are generated.
> As long as the values for udev rules can change at any
> time in any way, any tool which generates such rules
> will sooner or later fail and it is not the right way
> to put the burden to deal with the udev mess to the
> maintainers of such a tool.
So you don't use the existing tool to generate the SANE udev rules files for
SUSE? I know that at least Fedora does, it was my understanding that most, if
not all, distros do.

Happy scanning,
--
Alesh Slovak                    Linux Team -- AVASYS Corporation
alesh.slovak at avasys.jp          http://avasys.jp