[sane-devel] As instructed by /etc/udev/rules.d/libsane.rules

Alesh Slovak alesh.slovak at avasys.jp
Wed Nov 18 00:53:46 UTC 2009

OK, so this thread has sort of exploded.

So the idea so far, is that we want to install the udev/HAL rules generation
tool (with some possible modifications) along with all the .desc files.

We also need to provide some standard location for third parties to place their
.desc files, because the rules will need to be regenerated if say, SANE is
upgraded. Perhaps a sub-directory under /usr/share/sane?

While this does not address the root of the problem as Johannes indicates, it
should fix one aspect of it and hopefully reduce the number of permissions
related questions SANE and distros get from users while allowing epkowa and
other third parties to safely and reliably support any distribution that
actually implements these changes.

Happy scanning,
--
Alesh Slovak                    Linux Team -- AVASYS Corporation
alesh.slovak at avasys.jp          http://avasys.jp