[sane-devel] As instructed by /etc/udev/rules.d/libsane.rules

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 01:07:53 UTC 2009

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 7:53 PM, Alesh Slovak <alesh.slovak at avasys.jp> wrote:
> OK, so this thread has sort of exploded.

yes- there is a bit of frustration here :)

> So the idea so far, is that we want to install the udev/HAL rules generation
> tool (with some possible modifications) along with all the .desc files.
>
> We also need to provide some standard location for third parties to place
> their .desc files, because the rules will need to be regenerated if say,
> SANE is upgraded. Perhaps a sub-directory under /usr/share/sane?

uhg- I don't like that idea. I think it should be possible to place
these third-party rules files someplace that they won't get wiped out
by a sane-backends upgrade, rather than having to append some magic
someplace to call a script.

> While this does not address the root of the problem as Johannes indicates,
> it should fix one aspect of it and hopefully reduce the number of
> permissions related questions SANE and distros get from users while allowing
> epkowa and other third parties to safely and reliably support any
> distribution that actually implements these changes.

Agreed in principle. The devil is in the details, however.

allan