[sane-devel] the samsung scx-4200 works with the xerox mfp driver

Maks maksimalac at gmail.com
Sun Nov 29 01:43:20 UTC 2009

I need some advice regarding the installation of samsung scx-4200
scanner in ubuntu 9.10. I started to use ubuntu few months ago, after
years of using win xp. Now I have ubuntu 9.10 and win xp installed on my
machine (dual boot), but I'm anxious to learn about ubuntu as much as I
can, so I can discard windows entirely.

My problem is that I can't get my scanner working in ubuntu. I've added

  #scx4200
  usb 0x04e8 0x341b

to /etc/sane.d/xerox_mfp.conf, but now I'm stuck.

It seems that ubuntu detects scanner when I type "sane-find-scanner":

# sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your scanner. If the
  # result is different from what you expected, first make sure your
  # scanner is powered up and properly connected to your computer.

  # No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make
sure that
  # you have loaded a kernel SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.

found USB scanner (vendor=0x04e8 [Samsung], product=0x341b [SCX-4200
Series]) at libusb:001:002
  # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be
supported by

  # Not checking for parallel port scanners.

  # Most Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary
ports
  # can't be detected by this program.

 The trouble is (to my knowledge) that I have Leadtek WinFast TV tuner
card installed. So when I type "scanimage -L", I get:

device `v4l:/dev/video0' is a Noname BT878 video (Leadtek WinFast 20
virtual device.

When I run XSane image scanner, I get the same result - my scanner is
Leadtek WinFast device.

I would really appreciate some help on this matter, if possible
step-by-step advice on what I should do. Google offers a lot of advices
on how to do this thing using Samsung unified driver, but Michael wrote
that samsung's proprietary driver performs ugly hacks, and I believe
him. So...

Thanks,
Max