[sane-devel] informing the user they need to turn on the power?

stef stef.dev at free.fr
Fri Oct 2 04:51:31 UTC 2009

Le vendredi 2 octobre 2009 04:30:09 Paul Wise, vous avez écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> [Please CC me, I'm not subscribed]
>
> The scanner I'm working on (Lexmark X2330) shows up in USB when the
> scanner has wall power but the blue LED embedded in the power on button
> is off. When in that state, the scanner returns an specific error code
> indicating what I can only assume is "please turn scanner on". I have a
> working standalone driver at this stage. For when I start working on a
> SANE backend, is there a way for a SANE backend to inform the user that
> the power is off and they need to press the power button?

	Hello,

	to my knowledge, there is no SANE API feature that explicitly handle this
case. I think it has to be added to the areas where the API could be improved.
	The only way I know to get around that within the current framework, is to
create an SANE_Option for this feature of the backend and let frontends
querying it. It is how button handling is done, and you'll meet the same
problems and limitations.

Regards,
	Stef