[sane-devel] HP scanjet 2400 question.

Andrew Randrianasulu randrik_a at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 2 21:52:46 UTC 2009

Hello all!

I just powered up this scanner ( (vendor=0x03f0 [Hewlett-Packard], product=0x0a01 [hp scanjet scanner], chip=GL646_HP) as detected by sane-find-scanner). It doesn't work with stock sane (1.0.19), and doesn't work with genesys backend from http://stef.dev.free.fr/sane/genesys/ (but it produces log after I run ./run-genesys script).

Scanner work with proprietary (?) SANE backend from http://www.elcot.in/linuxdrivers_download.php#Scan2400 , but i found even smaller package, it works too (found it on russian Linux forum):

http://blog.racoon97.net/wp-content/uploads/hp_scanjet_g2410.tar.gz

I can scan color pages with at least 150, 200, 300 and 600 dpi settings. Because this driver uses libusb - i think it is good idea to capture  its command stream? I'm not sure for how long I will have this piece hardware.

I think I saw some instructions about capturing usb packets from Linux, but not sure how exactly it was done (in userspace or via kernel patch). May be someone here can point me into right direction?

I'll attach genesys debug log, i have plans to download more recent SANE sources and start from them, but I really need some guidance.

As you can see from log SANE thinks what my scanner was locked at the end (and it started to make loud motor noises, so I unplugged it fast). No image was received ever ...