[sane-devel] Slow scanner & timeout

Erik Lotspeich erik at lotspeich.org
Thu Apr 15 13:13:29 UTC 2010

Hi Allan,

Thanks for your response -- directing me to the sane source was a big
help.  I was worried I'd have to get into the USB driver.

I poked around in the source for a bit and discovered an environment
variable SANE_HP_RDREDO.  I set this to 200 and that allowed sane to
wait much longer -- I can get scans now with the XPA.

When I used to use scanner with XPA with SCSI, it might take 1 minute
for the lamp to warm up before the first scan and a much shorter time
after that.  Now I'm waiting nearly 5 minutes... but that's not a
problem with sane, I'm sure.  Maybe my 9-year old machine is showing
signs of age.

OT: When I bought this scanner, I thought that it would be a nice
mid-range model.  When scanning slides, it's obvious it has a limited
color/contrast range; I see banding and digital noise as well.  For
negatives, it's worthless.

Regards,

Erik