[sane-devel] Limits on TPU scan width Epson v700

Rikiya takeriki0502 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 29 14:38:21 UTC 2010

Rei Shinozuka wrote:

> I have the V700 scanner and asked the same question.  Alesh Slovak of
> Avasys (who develops iscan) responded:
>
>     The device has a second TPU mode with the larger area which is
>     available only through the extended command set and while epkowa
>     does support this extended command set (hence the suggested
>     fs-blacklist edit) it unfortunately does not support the device's
>     second TPU mode. It is likely that the situation
>     is the same for the epson2 backend.
>

> There is a non-open source solution using the V700 scanner 8x10 mode
> under Linux: vuescan.  I've used it since 2002 and it's a quality
> product.  Using Vuescan on my Ubuntu system, I've made 8x10 scans of 36
> frames of 35mm film and 12 frames of 120 (digital contact sheets).
> Vuescan costs $79.95 with a trial edition to see if it works.
>
> http://www.hamrick.com/
>
> (note I have no financial or other interest in the software or company,
> other than being a satisfied customer.)
>
> -rei
>

> On 04/28/2010 02:01 AM, Rikiya wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to scan 8x10 inch in TPU mode with Epson v700 (Actually,
>>   I'm using GT-X970 in japan. The names are different, but maybe
>> same hardware). This function is not supported by neither epson
>> nor epkowa, as Olaf said below URL.
>>
>> http://old.nabble.com/Re%3A-Epson-Perfection-V700-p9486669.html
>> http://old.nabble.com/Re%3A-Epson-Perfection-V700-p9486669.html
>>
>> I found a similar problem and solution in another model (Epson v500).
>>
>> http://old.nabble.com/Re%3A-Limits-on-scan-width-Epson-v500-Linux-Epkowa-p27994429.html
>> http://old.nabble.com/Re%3A-Limits-on-scan-width-Epson-v500-Linux-Epkowa-p27994429.html
>>
>> This solution is modifying iscan source code (It's quite elegant way).
>> I applied same method to my situation, but it doesn't work.
>>
>> Is there any solution to scan 8x10 inch in TPU mode with Epson v700?
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Rikiya
>>

> --

I tried vuescan... it works!!  Thank you, Rei.
But, this software doesn't have command-line operation (like scanimage of
SANE).
Hopefully I will use CUI scan operation.

I read
http://old.nabble.com/Epson-Perfection-V700-PHOTO-GT-X900-scan-size-tt28286411.html
this thread , and Gernot said:

  It looks like this is done in epson2-ops.c in function
  e2_discover_capabilities. There is a block for the GT-X800.
  Unfortunately, it looks like one might need to do Windows snooping to
  figure out what might have to be done for the GT-X900.

So, is there anything I can do for development?
(I have a GT-X970, maybe there is something to do.)

--
Rikiya