[sane-devel] Art project

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 15:33:54 UTC 2010

As I said before, this is not a physical limitation. The motor itself
does not care how long the belt or track is. It is the brains of the
scanner that care. Most of them use a single register to store the
scan length, and if you wish to scan a length that will not fit in the
register, the scanner cannot do it.

I have two suggestions-

1. if you do not need high resolution along the length of the scan,
you might be able to add a gear train, or change the stepper motor to
one with larger steps. Thus, when the scanner chip moves the motor by
one step, it does not move 1mm, but rather, moves 3mm. If you then
scan at the highest resolution the scanner can manage, it will
actually make non-square pixels, but it will cover the distance. You
will have to move the motor slowly, and you might have to add an
amplifier.

2. Investigate one of the home-made 'player piano' scanners. Those
guys are archiving very long pieces of paper.

allan