[sane-devel] how do I use scanner hardware sensors (e.g. scan button)?

Simon Matter simon.matter at invoca.ch
Tue Jan 19 20:41:51 UTC 2010

> On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 1:14 PM, Arthur Hebert <arthur at evcl.com> wrote:
>> Thanks Allan. I am comfortable digging in and writing code, much more so
>> for
>> scripting languages (e.g. bash, python) than compiled/linked languages
>> (e.g.
>> C).
>>
>> A few related questions come to mind:
>>
>> * Is scanimage considered a frontend or a backend?
>
> frontend
>

>> * How do I read/poll the scan-button hardware state from the device?
>> (Note:
>> scanimage --help | grep "\-\-scan" results in "no" even when I hold down
>> the
>> button)
>
> you would have to write your own frontend, or modify the button daemon
> in our old experimental tree. I don't think you can do it with
> scanimage.

You may be interested to look at my current version of that code. It
consists of a modified button daemon and a bash daemon which does the main
work as it is easily extensible. We are using it with some Fujitsu fi-6xxx
scanners as well as other scanner and it works very well for us. The code
is a made to run on RedHat Linux but apart from the init script most
things should work anywhere. It's here for now
http://www.invoca.ch/pub/packages/scanmonitord/
Maybe if it doesn't fit your need you may still get some idea how this
could work for you. And of course, feedback is always welcome.

Regards,
Simon