[sane-devel] $ to develop SANE back-end for Canon BJC-85 IS12

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 23 20:48:51 UTC 2010

Charlie-

I've written a number of sane backends: fujitsu, canon_dr, kodak and
more. Unfortunately, the cost can be widely variable due to the
differences in scanner protocols. Though as a rule, It is more
difficult to write a backend if there is no documentation and if there
is no physical access to hardware.

Before you engage with someone to do development, you should try these things:

1. download, compile and install the latest sane-backends git snapshot.
2. run sane-find-scanner -v -v from that snapshot, send output to mailing list
3. Attach the scanner to a windows machine, and get a log of a small
black and white scan using this tool:

http://www.pcausa.com/Utilities/UsbSnoop/

4. do the same for a color scan. I usually write RGB in the corner of
a sheet of paper (each in the correct color), and scan that.
5. compress and post those logs where the mailing list can reach them.

Hopefully this will give us enough info to identify the protocol. If
the scanner is related to an existing model, adding support could be
simpler.

allan