[sane-devel] On a clear day... You can see my scanner! (Edited from my business email)

Matthew Duggan stauff at guarana.org
Wed Mar 3 11:05:44 UTC 2010

Hi Steven,

The N340P support in SANE has been stable for many versions of sane, so getting a newer version compiling won't make any difference.  I'd recommend just using the packaged Ubuntu version, as it will have all the dependencies you need already configured.

SANE doesn't include any drivers for parallel ports, that's left up to the Linux kernel module "parport" (and ppdev, and parport_pc).  If you can't get those drivers to recognise your parallel port, then there's nothing that SANE can do to access it.  I'm not familiar with the recommended way to set up the parallel port driver modules in Ubuntu, I'm sure some googling will help.  The old-fashioned way was to add it to /etc/modules or use "modprobe" from the command-line.

Once you get your parallel port is recognised by linux, then SANE should be able to work with the scanner.

Kind Regards,

Matthew Duggan
canon_pp maintainer.. I guess.