[sane-devel] net backend out of service

Wolfram Heider wolframheider at web.de
Wed Mar 3 12:33:55 UTC 2010

Recently the net backend is on strike with me. I am here in a minor
network with a few machines running under Opensuse 11.1/11.2 (32 bit/64
bit) and additionally some virtual machines. SANE versions are 1.0.19,
1.0.20 and latest unstable version (20100303). Two machines are scanning
servers. And it's always the same, when trying to connect to one of it
nothing happens.

A telnet saneserver 6566 gives back a "Connection closed by foreign host"

The interesting part of SANE_DEBUG_NET=128 is:

[net] connect_dev: trying to connect to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
[net] connect_dev: [0] connection succeeded (IPv4)
[net] connect_dev: sanei_w_init
[net] connect_dev: net_init (user=ich, local version=1.0.3)
[net] connect_dev: argument marshalling error (Connection reset by peer)
[net] connect_dev: closing connection to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

and:

[net] connect_dev: trying to connect to localhost
[net] connect_dev: [0] connection succeeded (IPv4)
[net] connect_dev: sanei_w_init
[net] connect_dev: net_init (user=ich, local version=1.0.3)
[net] connect_dev: freeing init reply (status=Success, remote
version=1.0.3)
[net] connect_dev: done

so the server machine itself is able to connect via the net backend to the
attached scanner

I wonder if somebody has a clue what's going on here. Any hints are
welcome.

Regards
Wolfram Heider