[sane-devel] Scanner

stef stef.dev at free.fr
Tue Mar 9 05:37:37 UTC 2010

Le lundi 8 mars 2010 20:30:11 martin at hoevenaar.com, vous avez écrit :
> Hello :-)
>
> After trying to install I got a message which stated that I should
> send an email to this address. I have a HP Scanjet 2400, a very
> popular (still after all those years) scanner which works just fine in
> Windows or OSX. Those are two systems I do not use. I prefer Linux
> Fedora 12 and very happy with it.
>
> Anyway, after installing the Genesys back-end the scanner got
> recognized with "scanimage -L" but only as root. The same goes for
> running Xsane: just as root, not as user. When I try to make a scan
> the following message appears in my console:
>
> (xsane:18835): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkSpinButton: setting an adjustment
> with non-zero page size is deprecated
>
> On Linux I am an experienced user, but not a genius, which is not my
> intention of being. ;-)
>
> First I thought it might be locked, since that is possible "on
> purpose", but there are no lids, slids or whatever to mechanically
> lock the scanner. I also tried to figure out Xsane, but there are not
> many options to adjust on the scanner itself (read: none).
>
> Could you please help me or advise me? I would be very happy, since I
> have no money to buy a new scanner.
>
> The silly thing is, and I have read that many times on the web, that
> this scanner model is widely known and very popular. The drivers and
> instructions I have found on:
> http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=32997
>
> Thank you in advance and keep up the good work with Open Source and Linux!
>
> With regards,
>
> Martin Hoevenaar.

	Hello,

	support for the HP2400 is in the process to be added in the next release of
SANE. You can have mode details in the sane-devel mailing list archive.
Current status is that 300 dpi scans work, and other modes will follow soon.
	The Gtk warnings are harmless and more related to xsane than to the backend.
	For the permission problem (ie scanner detected only as root), you have to
make sure udev rules handle your scanner and you user account has the
corresponding group (usually 'scanner') in his list. Fixing it is often
distribution specific, and you might find better help in fedora's forum (I'm
using slackware, so I can't help that much).
	If you can log USB activity of your scanner under windows with USBSniff, I'd
be interested by 50, 100, 150, 600 and 1200 scans. I can provide you with more
details if you feel you can do it.

Regards,
	Stef