[sane-devel] Future of sane-frontends

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Mon May 24 19:56:32 UTC 2010

We (well, mostly I) have left sane-frontends in a bad spot for awhile,
not compiling against our last two backends releases, forcing vendors
to patch. Frankly, I've been willing to let it go, because those tools
are rarely touched, and have been largely superseded by scanimage,
Xsane, gscan2pdf, etc.

IMHO, user interface design is best left to people other than driver
authors :) So, I propose to do a release of what we have now as
sane-frontends 1.0.15, and state in the announcement that the code is
deprecated, and users should turn to other tools. That is, unless
someone wants to step up and take ownership of these things :)

Comments?

allan