[sane-devel] Canoscan N1240U and Mac OS X 10.6

Chris Bagwell chris at cnpbagwell.com
Thu May 27 15:54:44 UTC 2010

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 9:31 AM, Gernot Hassenpflug <aikishugyo at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 9:05 AM, Darren Goossens
> <goossens at rsc.anu.edu.au> wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Has anyone got this combination to work?  Canoscan N1240U and Mac OS X
> 10.6. Can you tell me how?
> >
> > I have tried the software at
> >
> > www.ellert.se/twain-sane
> >
> > and it gives me sane-find-scanner and that works:
> > found USB scanner (vendor=0x04a9 [Canon], product=0x220e [CanoScan],
> chip=LM983x?) at libusb:001:003-04a9-220e-ff-00
> >  # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be
> supported by
> >  # SANE. Try scanimage -L and read the backend's manpage.
> > Now, this is a supported scanner (plustek), but scanimage -L gives me
> nothing.  Says it cannot find a scanner.
> > I think scanner access now impossible!
> > I have tried installing xsane from MacPorts (completely broken as fas as
> I can tell)
> > any advice welcome
>
> Good news is the scanner is perfectly supported (I have one) but the
> plustek backend, even in older versions of sane (like 1.0.19).
> Probably you have an issue with library paths, but someone familiar
> with MacOSX and macports would need to give you advice on SANE with a
> mac, sorry.
>
> Gernot

I'm not real sure how USB devices work under OSX but is probably the source
of issue.   One of the help pages on above twain-sane site (which I
recommend reading) says that it installs its packages under /usr/local
tree.  So you probably want to edit the file
/usr/local/etc/sane.d/plustek.conf file.  Look at the comments about giving
a USB device vendor/product ID's and using "auto" for device name instead of
/dev/usbcanner.

Macports should have same file if you prefer it but under /opt instead of
/usr/local.

Chris