[sane-devel] support for Canon MG8150

Ralph Gauges ralph.gauges at bioquant.uni-heidelberg.de
Tue Nov 2 09:23:45 UTC 2010

On 11/2/10 12:21 AM, Gernot Hassenpflug wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 5:29 AM, Louis Lagendijk
> <louis at lagendijk.xs4all.nl>  wrote:
>> On Sun, 2010-10-31 at 19:51 +0100,

>> Please check the USB-ids, if it is incorrect network scanning will work
>> (as long as the device id is unique) as the network code gets the
>> device-id from the definition in mp150.c where it does the lookup by the
>> name of the device read over the ethernet connection. For USB it works
>> the other way round....SO if the the id is incorrect network scanning
>> will work, while usb scanning fails
>>
>> best regards, Louis (author of the BJNP stuff)
> Hi, yes, please confirm the USBid, I took the above ones from the
> Japanese MG8100 series driver, but do not have the device myself.
> Best regards,
> Gernot Hassenpflug

Yes, you are both right, I had made a slight mistake in the USB ids.
Now the scanner is recognized over ethernet as well as over USB. The
difference is that I can actually scan over ethernet, but get an error
when I try over USB.

I sent the debug output I get to Gernot and we are currently trying some
things to see why scanning over USB does not seem to work yet. Since I
was not sure whether to post all those log files on the list was OK, we
took part of the discussion offline.

Gernot suspected that the USB problems might be related to my version of
libusb. I was using the latest Ubuntu 10.10 AMD64 and the libusb with
the development packages that come with the system (0.1.12).

In order to be compatible with the system Gernot uses, I installed a
Debian Sid VM. Gernot also suggested to compile sane aginst libusb 1.0.8
instead of libusb 0.1.12, but so far I haven't succeeded in doing that.
configure always tells me that it didn't find libusb and that it will
compile without USB support.

Is there any trick to compile sane against libusb 1.0?

I won't be available until next week, but next week, I have planned to
get my hands on a Windows XP machine so that I can provide some info
acquired via USBSniffer

Best regards

Ralph