[sane-devel] Print server (Dlink DPR 2000)

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Wed Oct 6 08:20:27 UTC 2010

Hello,

On Oct 6 06:56 Vincent Le Mieux wrote (shortened):
> I've got a Brother DCP7010 (multifunction Scanner + Laser Printer)
> connected thru USB to a DLINK DPR2000 (an independant print server 4 USB
> and Wifi). I can access the printer with my different computers  thru
> Wifi. The printing thru the network is OK but Xsane doesn't see the
> scanner.

Printserver boxes provide only some kind of unidirectional
data transfer from the computer to the printer so that
plain printing usually works but usually nothing else.

As far as I know only HP Jetdirect printservers provide
additionally some SNMP stuff to get HP printer device status
and whatever else is needed so that in particular HP's own
HPLIP printer/scanner driver software can use HP all-in-one
devices for printing, device status, scanning, faxing,...

For scanning you need a full bidirectional communication
between computer and device. In your case this means you should
connect the device directly via USB to the computer at least for
a test to find out if whatever scanner driver software you use
(perhaps you need whatever driver from Brother) works at all.

If it works via direct USB connection, you may experiment
with your particular printserver box to find out to what
extent it supports bidirectional communication to the device.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex