[sane-devel] Scanner missing

Simon Matter simon.matter at invoca.ch
Thu Oct 14 06:33:49 UTC 2010

> I run CentOS 5.5 on my home desktop:
>
> 2.6.18-194.17.1.el5 #1 SMP Wed Sep 29 12:50:31 EDT 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> centos-release-5-5.el5.centos.x86_64
> GNOME 2.16.0 (included/integrated w/CentOS 5)
>
> A while back I bought a new HP J3600 scan/fax/copy/print-er and
> connected it to my system.  At first it was visible to the root but
> not me as an ordinary user.  I had no trouble configuring it as a
> printer, but the scanner was invisible to xsane until I added my user
> id to the lp group.
>
> Now it's gone again, except that it is visible as a usb device to me
> as a normal user, but xsane can't seem to find it any more.  Can
> anyone hazard a guess at what's wrong?
>
> $ lsusb
> Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
> Bus 002 Device 006: ID 03f0:3112 Hewlett-Packard
> Bus 002 Device 004: ID 22b8:2ac2 Motorola PCS
> Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
> Bus 002 Device 002: ID 04f9:0033 Brother Industries, Ltd
> Bus 002 Device 003: ID 03f0:0205 Hewlett-Packard ScanJet 3300c
>
> It's Bus 2, Dev 6.  There is nothing in any of the /var/log/* files to
> indicate any kind of problem.  I unplugged the scanner and then
> plugged it back in and found this:
>
> $ sane-find-scanner
>
>   # sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your scanner. If the
>   # result is different from what you expected, first make sure your
>   # scanner is powered up and properly connected to your computer.
>
>   # No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure
> that
>   # you have loaded a kernel SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.
>
> found USB scanner (vendor=0x03f0 [HP], product=0x3112 [Officejet J3600
> series]) at libusb:002:005
> found USB scanner (vendor=0x03f0 [Hewlett-Packard], product=0x0205 [HP
> ScanJet 3300C]) at libusb:002:004

I can only guess here... First, sane-find-scanner finds everything that
could look like a scanner, but it does not use the SANE libs so it's
output does not help much. Now, it seems to show two scanners, do you have
two?
Does "scanimage -L" show anything, possibly running it as root?

Many HP devices are supported via their HPLIP stuff, which is shipped by
your distribution, but it's not directly a SANE problem if the HP stuff is
used. Maybe you can check how it was working before.

Simon