[sane-devel] Scanner missing

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Thu Oct 14 07:34:48 UTC 2010

Hello,

On Oct 13 11:10 Mark wrote (shortened):
> I run CentOS 5.5 on my home desktop:
> A while back I bought a new HP J3600 scan/fax/copy/print-er and
> connected it to my system.  At first it was visible to the root but
> not me as an ordinary user.  I had no trouble configuring it as a
> printer, but the scanner was invisible to xsane until I added my user
> id to the lp group.
>
> Now it's gone again, except that it is visible as a usb device to me
> as a normal user, but xsane can't seem to find it any more.  Can
> anyone hazard a guess at what's wrong?

If "scanimage -L" doesn't show it, inspect whether or not the
SANE backends (i.e. the drivers) for your models are activated in
a file like /etc/sane.d/dll.conf (might be elsewhere on CentOS).

For HP all-in-one devices which use HP's own free software HPLIP
(see http://hplipopensource.com) the SANE backend is "hpaio".

For HP flatbed scanners there are some other backends
provided the model is supported by SANE, see
http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html#Z-HEWLETT-PACKARD

Even if you use CentOS, the following articles for openSUSE might
also be of interest for you because in general SANE should work
the same regardless of a particular Linux distribution:

http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Configuring_Scanners
in particular the sections about "USB scanner access permissions
via udev" and "Trouble-Shooting (Debugging)"

http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:How_to_set-up_a_HP_printer
in particular in the "Troubleshooting" section:
In general if things do not work, use "hp-check -r"
in a terminal to track the issue.

In particular regarding HPLIP see also
http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/support.html

Kind Regards