[sane-devel] support for Canon MG8150

ralph.gauges at bioquant.uni-heidelberg.de ralph.gauges at bioquant.uni-heidelberg.de
Sun Oct 31 19:24:46 UTC 2010

Quoting Gernot Hassenpflug <aikishugyo at gmail.com>:

> On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 2:19 AM,
> <ralph.gauges at bioquant.uni-heidelberg.de> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I recently bought a new multifunction device from Canon (MG8150) and as
>> usually there are no linux drivers for the device from the manufacturer.
>>
>> So the question now is, how could I be of help to eventually get this device
>> running under linux.
>> I have never written any device drivers, but I know C/C++ and I am fairly
>> familiar with linux, so if you tell me what I can do to help, I will try.
>
> Hi,
>
> At the moment there is no specific support for the new devices, so you
> are most welcome to help. As there already exists code that might be
> able to support these devices without any (or not much) development
> please try the following, using the CVS sane-backends code.
>
> You can try adding the definitions near the end of pixma_mp150.c where
> similar definitions exist, like this:
>
>   /* Latest devices (2010) Generation 4 CIS/CCD */
>   DEVICE ("Canon PIXMA MP280",  "MP280",  MP280_PID,  1200, 638, 877,
> PIXMA_CAP_CIS),
>   DEVICE ("Canon PIXMA MG5100", "MG5100", MG5100_PID, 1200, 638, 877,
> PIXMA_CAP_CIS),
>   DEVICE ("Canon PIXMA MG6100", "MG6100", MG6100_PID, 2400, 638, 877,
> PIXMA_CAP_CIS),
>   DEVICE ("Canon PIXMA MG6200", "MG6200", MG6200_PID, 2400, 638, 877,
> PIXMA_CAP_CIS),
>   DEVICE ("Canon PIXMA MG8100", "MG8100", MG8100_PID, 4800, 638, 877,
> PIXMA_CAP_CCD | PIXMA_CAP_TPU),
>
> and the USB ids near the start of the file under the existing ones,
> like this:
>
> #define MP280_PID 0x1746
> #define MG5100_PID 0x1748
> #define MG5200_PID 0x1749
> #define MG6100_PID 0x174a
> #define MG8100_PID 0x174b
>
> Compile and then see if the device can work at all. Note the MG
> devices are sold under different names in different parts of the
> world, so the last 2 digits above are simply 00 to denote the family.

I have added those lines and connected the device via USB. This is what I got:

gauges at delilah:~/workspace/sane_devel/backends.git$ sane-find-scanner

   # sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your scanner. If the
   # result is different from what you expected, first make sure your
   # scanner is powered up and properly connected to your computer.

   # No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make
sure that
   # you have loaded a kernel SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.

found USB scanner (vendor=0x04a9, product=0x174b) at libusb:002:006
   # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be
supported by

   # Not checking for parallel port scanners.

   # Most Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports
   # can't be detected by this program.

   # You may want to run this program as root to find all devices. Once you
   # found the scanner devices, be sure to adjust access permissions as
   # necessary.
gauges at delilah:~/workspace/sane_devel/backends.git$ scanimage -L
device `pixma:04A9174B' is a CANON Canon PIXMA MX870 multi-function peripheral
gauges at delilah:~/workspace/sane_devel/backends.git$ scanimage -T
scanimage: open of device pixma:04A9174B failed: Access to resource
has been denied
gauges at delilah:~/workspace/sane_devel/backends.git$ sudo scanimage -T
sudo: scanimage: command not found
gauges at delilah:~/workspace/sane_devel/backends.git$ sudo
/usr/local/apps/sane-git/bin/scanimage -T
scanimage: scanning image of size 638x877 pixels at 24 bits/pixel
scanimage: acquiring RGB frame, 8 bits/sample
scanimage: reading one scanline, 1914 bytes...	FAIL Error: Error
during device I/O

What can I do to find out what is causing the error?
What would be the next steps?

Thanks

Ralph