[sane-devel] support for Canon MG8150

ralph.gauges at bioquant.uni-heidelberg.de ralph.gauges at bioquant.uni-heidelberg.de
Sun Oct 31 18:51:28 UTC 2010

Quoting Gernot Hassenpflug <aikishugyo at gmail.com>:

> On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 2:19 AM,
> <ralph.gauges at bioquant.uni-heidelberg.de> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I recently bought a new multifunction device from Canon (MG8150) and as
>> usually there are no linux drivers for the device from the manufacturer.
>>
>> So the question now is, how could I be of help to eventually get this device
>> running under linux.
>> I have never written any device drivers, but I know C/C++ and I am fairly
>> familiar with linux, so if you tell me what I can do to help, I will try.
>
> Hi,
>
> At the moment there is no specific support for the new devices, so you
> are most welcome to help. As there already exists code that might be
> able to support these devices without any (or not much) development
> please try the following, using the CVS sane-backends code.

I was hoping as much. As far as I know, the MG8150 is replacing the
MP990 which I think is supported.
So would it make sense to check if the code for the 990 works for the 8150?

> You can try adding the definitions near the end of pixma_mp150.c where
> similar definitions exist, like this:
>
>   /* Latest devices (2010) Generation 4 CIS/CCD */
>   DEVICE ("Canon PIXMA MP280",  "MP280",  MP280_PID,  1200, 638, 877,
> PIXMA_CAP_CIS),
>   DEVICE ("Canon PIXMA MG5100", "MG5100", MG5100_PID, 1200, 638, 877,
> PIXMA_CAP_CIS),
>   DEVICE ("Canon PIXMA MG6100", "MG6100", MG6100_PID, 2400, 638, 877,
> PIXMA_CAP_CIS),
>   DEVICE ("Canon PIXMA MG6200", "MG6200", MG6200_PID, 2400, 638, 877,
> PIXMA_CAP_CIS),
>   DEVICE ("Canon PIXMA MG8100", "MG8100", MG8100_PID, 4800, 638, 877,
> PIXMA_CAP_CCD | PIXMA_CAP_TPU),
>
> and the USB ids near the start of the file under the existing ones,
> like this:
>
> #define MP280_PID 0x1746
> #define MG5100_PID 0x1748
> #define MG5200_PID 0x1749
> #define MG6100_PID 0x174a
> #define MG8100_PID 0x174b

I already treid something along those lines by copying the line for
the MP990 instead of the MG6200. Since I didn't know where to find the
id, I just copied the one from the 990. So since this is the USB id, I
will connect the device via USB and try what you suggested.

Currently I am using the device via ethernet. Do I still need the USB
id or should any USB id work? Would it be better to try USB first?

> Compile and then see if the device can work at all. Note the MG
> devices are sold under different names in different parts of the
> world, so the last 2 digits above are simply 00 to denote the family.

OK. I will try? What is easier to test (or makes more sense) USB or
ethernet support?

Thanks

Ralph