[sane-devel] new scanner

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Mon Dec 5 03:40:35 UTC 2011

Jp Stillwell <jpscpa at yahoo.com> writes:

> I am trying to connect my new scanner to Linex Ubantu using XSane.  It
> is an Epson workforce 615.  It is not on the list of scanners
> supported.

This scanner should work (via USB) with the epson2 backend as well as
with the external epkowa backend.  The epkowa backend added support for
this model (as part of the Workforce 610 Series) in iscan-2.21.0.  The
latest iscan packages are available via:

  http://avasys.jp/eng/linux_driver/

If you want to use your all-in-one over a network connection, you will
need to install the non-free network plugin as well.

> When I try to scan, I get a message on the scanner that it is not
> connected to a computer.

This message is displayed on the device's LCD screen, I assume.  Does
that happen after you have selected "Scanning to PC" (or something very
similar) on the device?  Notwithstanding the message, can you scan?  If
not, could you provide a debug log?

For the epson2 backend, you can make one with

  SANE_DEBUG_EPSON2=255 xsane 2> debug.log

and for the epkowa backend that becomes

  SANE_DEBUG_EPKOWA=HEX xsane 2> debug.log

You may want to compress the log before mailing it.

Hope this helps,
                 http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=1962