[sane-devel] Problem using SX410 scanner - Invalid argument error

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Tue Jun 7 23:48:30 UTC 2011

Please keep this on the mailing list.  That way it will get archived and
be searchable for everyone.

Steffan Harris <scisteffan at gmail.com> writes:

> On 06/06/11 00:46, Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:
>> Steffan Harris<scisteffan at gmail.com>  writes:
>>
>>> I'm getting invalid argument errors when trying to run scanimage>
>>> out.pnm using an Epson SX410 printer/scanner unit running
>>> sane-backends 1.0.21 on Debian. Here's the debug output:
>>>
>>> steffan at debian:~$ scanimage -L
>>> device `v4l:/dev/video0' is a Noname Built-in iSight virtual device
>>> device `epson2:libusb:001:014' is a Epson PID 0851 flatbed scanner
>>> steffan at debian:~$ scanimage --version
>>> scanimage (sane-backends) 1.0.21; backend version 1.0.21
>>> steffan at debian:~$ SANE_DEBUG_EPSON2=255 scanimage>  out.pnm
>>> [sanei_debug] Setting debug level of epson2 to 255.
>>> [epson2] sane_epson2_get_devices - results:
>>> [... snip ...]
>>> [epson2]  0 (3): PID 0851
>>>
>> Things look OK so far, but
>>
>>> scanimage: sane_start: Invalid argument
>>> [epson2] sane_epson2_exit
>>> [epson2] free_devices
>>>
>> I'd have expected at least a
>>
>>    [epson2] sane_epson_2_sane_start
>>
>> before the scanimage message.  Sure you sent all of the log?
>>
>> FWIW, several epson2 backend bugs were fixed in sane-backends-1.0.22 so
>> you might want to give that a try.  Alternatively, you can try the
>> epkowa backend distributed as part of Image Scan! for Linux[1].  It is
>> known to work just fine.
>>
> My scanner used to work before I started receiving this error - it
> just appeared for no reason.

There's no such thing.  Things never change for no reason.

> Yes all the log is there. I've tried upgrading to sane-backends-1.0.22
> with no luck.

> How do I switch to the epkowa backend?

Install the iscan-data and iscan packages.

After that, scanimage -L will list your device as epkowa:... (possibly
in addition to epson2:... and/or epson:..., depending on your dll.conf).
Just use the epkowa:... listing to scanimage's -d option or select it in
your frontend scanner selection dialog.

> PS. xsane works fine!

Now that's odd.  You're the second person to say so.

Hope this helps,
                 http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=1962