[sane-devel] Gt-30000 and epkowa - Was Fwd: sanner still jogs - more buffering ?

Pete Lancashire pete at petelancashire.com
Wed Jun 8 04:40:34 UTC 2011

with the change made below, and setting the SANE_SG_BUFFER_SIZE to 1 Meg
the scanner jogs 2 times and takes 15.21 (avg of 3 passes) seconds,
the max I can
set it to is 1,347,071 one more byte and it crashes with

sanei_scsi.issue: 0x17a6130
sanei_scsi.issue: bad write (errno=12) Cannot allocate memory -1
sanei_scsi.issue: SG_BIG_BUF inconsistency? Check file PROBLEMS.

sane_read: Out of memory

I'm going to hit up the sg maintainer about why /proc/scsi/sg/def_reserved_size
keeps getting put back to 32K

other tidbits

with speed=no scan time is consistently just over 17 seconds

with resolution=300 and speed=no the scanner jogs once with speed=yes
(and not a typo) it is
much faster and does NOT jog. That one has me really confused.

going to download the kernel sources etc .. for future fun.

I may also for grins build this server as a Ubuntu setup and see what happens.

-pete