[sane-devel] Gt-30000 and epkowa - Was Fwd: sanner still jogs - more buffering ?

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Wed Jun 8 06:55:06 UTC 2011

Pete Lancashire <pete at petelancashire.com> writes:

> with the change made below, and setting the SANE_SG_BUFFER_SIZE to 1 Meg
> the scanner jogs 2 times and takes 15.21 (avg of 3 passes) seconds,

That's 214,812,000 bytes / 15.21 seconds = 14,123,076 bytes/sec, or
about 14.1MB/s.  How much closer to 20MB/s are you trying to get?

> the max I can set it to is 1,347,071 one more byte and it crashes with
>
> sanei_scsi.issue: 0x17a6130
> sanei_scsi.issue: bad write (errno=12) Cannot allocate memory -1
> sanei_scsi.issue: SG_BIG_BUF inconsistency? Check file PROBLEMS.
>
> sane_read: Out of memory
>
> I'm going to hit up the sg maintainer about why /proc/scsi/sg/def_reserved_size
> keeps getting put back to 32K

You may also want to bug the sanei_scsi.c maintainer, but note that the
epkowa backend uses an old version of that file (from 1.0.12 IIRC).  If
there's anything in that file that got fixed in a later sane-backends
version, the epkowa did not get that fix.

> other tidbits
>
> with speed=no scan time is consistently just over 17 seconds
>
> with resolution=300 and speed=no the scanner jogs once with speed=yes
> (and not a typo) it is much faster and does NOT jog. That one has me
> really confused.

The speed option basically determines whether you want to do a draft
mode can yes or no.  Now I have no idea what's going on in the device
and what's different between the two but I could come up with one or two
plausible scenarios for that.  One involves less bits per pixel in the
raw data acquired, hence room for more pixels in device memory, in draft
mode.  Another involves bypassing of post-processing options that
delays pixels becoming ready for transfer to the PC or eating up device
memory so that less data can be buffered.

Just speculating though.

BTW, top posting is like putting the cart before the horse ;-P

                 http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=1962