[sane-devel] Epson Perfection 610 disappeared

sedwards at xmission.com sedwards at xmission.com
Mon Jun 13 17:26:28 UTC 2011

I've been using this Epson Perfection 610 usb scanner on this computer
with gNewSehnse for years with no trouble (apart from some issues with
scanning narrow documents).

Recently I have been trying out some other distros to see if some bugs
have been fixed in more recent versions of software (including
scanning of narrow documents).

I have been using LinuxMint 10 LXDE for a couple of weeks and one of
the few problems I had was that when I ran scanimage I got an "Invalid
argument".  Since I wanted to work on a Sane backend for a different
scanner, I decided to get the latest source (1.0.22) and build a
version myself.

That went off without a hitch and I was able to scanimage with the
Epson with no problems.  The narrow docment problem was even fixed!

I had to reboot into a different OS (Ubuntu) and now I'm back in
LinixMint the scanimage that I built a couple of weeks ago is no
longer working.  It is giving me the same "Invalid Argument" message
that I was getting with the LinuxMint package:

scanimage -depson:libusb:004:004 > xxx.pnm
[sanei_debug] Setting debug level of dll to 0.
scanimage: open of device epson:libusb:004:004 failed: Invalid argument

scanimage -L can no longer find it:

[sanei_debug] Setting debug level of dll to 0.

However sand-find-scanner CAN find it:

found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8, product=0x0103) at libusb:004:004
   # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be
supported by

$ scanimage -L
[sanei_debug] Setting debug level of dll to 9.
[dll] sane_init: SANE dll backend version 1.0.13 from sane-backends 1.0.22
[dll] sane_init/read_dlld: attempting to open directory `./dll.d'
[dll] sane_init/read_dlld: attempting to open directory
`/usr/local/etc/sane.d/dll.d'
[dll] sane_init/read_dlld: using config directory
`/usr/local/etc/sane.d/dll.d'
[dll] sane_init/read_dlld: done.
[dll] sane_init/read_config: reading dll.conf
[dll] add_backend: adding backend `epson2'
[dll] sane_get_devices
[dll] load: searching backend `epson2' in `/usr/local/lib/sane'
[dll] load: trying to load `/usr/local/lib/sane/libsane-epson2.so.1'
[dll] load: dlopen()ing `/usr/local/lib/sane/libsane-epson2.so.1'
[dll] init: initializing backend `epson2'
[dll] init: backend `epson2' is version 1.0.124
[dll] sane_get_devices: found 0 devices

[dll] sane_exit: exiting

$ lsusb
Bus 004 Device 004: ID 04b8:0103 Seiko Epson Corp. Perfection 610

Any suggestions as to what I should do next?

Thanks
   -Scott