[sane-devel] sane-find-scanner changes /proc/scsi/sg_def_reserved_size !

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Mon Jun 20 00:32:43 UTC 2011

Pete Lancashire <pete at petelancashire.com> writes:

> as root
>
> # echo 262144 > /proc/scsi/sg/def_reserved_size
>
> # cat /proc/scsi/sg/def_reserved_size
> 262144
>
> as non-root user
>
> [root at localhost ram0]# su - pete
> [pete at localhost ~]$ cat /proc/scsi/sg/def_reserved_size
> 262144
> $ sane-find-scanner -q
> found SCSI processor "EPSON SCANNER GT-30000 1.53" at /dev/sg1
> [pete at localhost ~]$ cat /proc/scsi/sg/def_reserved_size
> 32768
>
> what gives ?
>
> This is sane-find-scanner from sane-backends 1.0.22

I didn't find anything obvious in tools/sane-find-scanner.c.  My current
best bet is that this happens somewhere in sanei/sanei_scsi.c and that
this will very likely affect any backend that uses it (including epson,
epson2 and epkowa backends).

Maybe running with SANE_DEBUG_SANEI_SCSI set turns up something useful?

Hope this helps,
                 http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=1962